“Christmas is the day that holds all time together”
One of the biggest Christmas to-dos (and also the first!) is writing and sending your Christmas cards. There has never been a more important time than this year to reach out to neighbours, friends and colleagues, and it’s one of the simple acts of kindness you can do during the winter season. So, whilst we all head into a second lockdown this year, keep yourself busy by writing some heartfelt Christmas cards.
We all know the phrase “Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year” can start to sound a little monotonous, especially when being written several times. If you’re looking for inspiration on something a little more sincere; here at Clintons, we’ve created the perfect guide to help you craft the perfect message for everyone on your list.
First off, create your sending list and categorise them into sections.
- Friends / Family who are overseas (prioritise these as they will need to be sent out first)
Next, think about the theme surrounding the message. Do they like humour? Or a warm traditional message? See our list of themes below to help you decide:
Warm Traditional Messages
These are the messages that leave a warm, jolly feeling in your heart. These might be suitable for older relatives, grandparents or neighbours.
- May today be filled with happy memories of the past and bright hopes for the future.
- Sending you Christmas cheer for the most wonderful time of year!
- Have a warm & cosy season that brings you all your favourite things and let the simple joys of Christmas fill your heart with love
- There will always be a Christmas, as long as wonderful people like you are here to make the season bright
- Though this year has brought many changes in our lives, one thing that will never change is how much you are warmly thought of at this time of year and always
- Wishing you warm traditions, magical surprises and all the special moments you’ll share with your loved ones this season
Bright modern messages
Keeping things short but sweet doesn’t have to mean boring! Here are a few examples of how you can add a little warmth to your sentiments.
- Merry Christmas! Wishing you all the special little moments you deserve
- From beginning to end, hope your Christmas sparkles!
- Cheers to great friends like you who make the season a merry one!
- Merry & Bright is how your Christmas should be! Enjoy every jolly moment
- However you celebrate the season, hope it’s a fabulous one!
- Sending a little festive wish your way and hope you have the best Christmas Day!
Does a friend, colleague or family member prefer sarcasm and humour rather than heartfelt wishes? Here are a few suggestions to warrant a chuckle or two:
- Sending this card is about as merry as I get!
- Christmas is a time to pretend we all like each other… so here’s a card!
- Let’s be honest, the only thing we care about at Christmas… is the time off work!
- Merry Christmas from one Scrooge to another!
- This card is your secret Santa present this year… the envelope was the wrapping paper – Surprise!
- It’s be-GIN-ning to look a lot like cocktails!
- So… this year was fun!
- This year let’s eat, drink, sleep, repeat – same as what we’ve been doing throughout lockdown – but festive!
- So…is Santa allowed to visit different households this year?
Favourite Christmas Quotes and Song Lyrics
Everyone has a favourite song or saying at Christmas – put theirs in a card!
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
- The best way for spreading Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear
- Rockin’ around the Christmas tree
- Jingle all the way
- All I want for Christmas is you!
- …And the bells were ringing out for Christmas Day!
- Have a Holly Jolly Christmas
- Simply having a wonderful Christmas time
- May your days be Merry & Bright
- Someday soon we all will be together, if the fates allow…so have yourself a Merry little Christmas now
If you have a friend or neighbour who is religious, then Christmas might hold a different meaning for them. Here are a few appropriate messages below:
- May your season be blessed with peace and joy
- May the message of peace and goodwill brought forward by our Lord and Saviour bless your home this Christmas
- May God’s blessings be with you this Christmas
- May the Lord grant you and your loved ones peace, joy and goodwill during this time of year
- Sending tidings of peace and joy this Christmas
A little thank you note
After a very trying year, there might be someone close to you that has helped you in some way. Expressing gratitude at Christmas really brings out the true spirit of the season. It will make your recipient feel truly appreciated for their efforts:
- Thank you for all your help this past year, your support has really meant a lot. Wishing you the wonderful Christmas you deserve.
- I’m so grateful to have you in my life. Thanks for always being there for me.
- Just wanted to say thank you this Christmas, because your thoughtful acts of kindness have helped me get through this year
- This season gives us the chance to say thank you to the wonderful people who’ve made a difference to our year. Wonderful people like you.
- Sending a little thank you this Christmas and hoping you know in the same ways you have been there for me, I will always be there for you
Sympathy / Thinking of you
Christmas may not be a joyous time for some people. They may have lost someone very close to them recently, or are going through difficult circumstances. Let them know in a card that they have your love and support – be as sensitive as possible and open with your condolences.
- Sending caring thoughts at what must be a difficult time of year for you. Thinking of you always
- Hoping the kindness and support surrounding you reminds you how much you’re cared about and loved
- During this season may you find comfort in knowing they were loved, and are still thought of this year and always.
- They will always hold a special place in the heart of this season. So sorry for your loss.
- You are in my prayers this season
- Thinking of you during this time of year. I’m always here if you need me
- Thinking of you this Christmas, and however you’re spending your days, just letting you know I’m here for you and I hope you’re doing okay
- Sending a little Christmas tiding to say I’m thinking of you.
Something Else you Might Like to add:
This year may have been a lonely one for so many people, so however big or small the gesture, make sure those in your circle know how much they are loved, cared for and supported.
Suggest a phone call and let them have ways of reaching out to you. Leave your contact details or a helpline number. The holidays can be a pretty lonely time for some people so it’s important to keep in touch, even if it’s not face to face.
There is a wonderful Japanese proverb that says “One kind word can warm three winter months”
So, if we spread a little kindness through our cards this year, we can remind people of the true meaning of the festive season. It might just be the one thing that will helps others get through these weeks of lockdown. Let’s all stay connected whilst apart.
These are just some examples of themes and sentiments of what to write in a Christmas card, you can copy or draw inspiration from them to add a personal touch to your message. Even if you still can’t find the words, Clintons can help you say it best. Browse online now and find the perfect card for everyone on your sending list.
Have a very Merry Christmas!
With love from Clintons x